It’s a bit strange and funny to me that I’m writing a guest room reveal for a house I no longer live in! But, that’s my reality. I only managed to barely get the guest room done in time for Bob to take the pictures of our house for the real estate listing. And, then it sold in 5 days, and we quickly transitioned to packing everything up and preparing to move. So, I feel like I never really got to enjoy the pretty “new” guest room.
The guest room update started when I sold all the furniture out of it!! That’s one way to attempt to light a fire under me, considering I had a dresser sitting in the garage for nearly a year to redo for the room. And, surprisingly it wasn’t the first piece of furniture to get an update. I bought nightstands and gave them a new look first.
Then, I tackled the Craigslist dresser. I had procrastinated on it, because I wanted to strip the top and stain it, and that is my least favorite thing to do. But, it was oh so worth it after it was done. I think this is actually one of the pictures that Bob used in our listing.
Because when I posted about the dresser, it didn’t have a mirror above it or anything on the dresser. I found the mirror on a buy/sell group on Facebook and for $40 it was a steal. It is a very heavy and beautiful mirror. I know it is still sparse, but again this was the “staged” for selling look.
The final piece was the headboard. I had this headboard stashed in my work area for nearly a year, because I remembered buying it at a yard sale last summer for $10.
Yeah, its not very pretty! I originally intended to put fabric over the two main rectangle areas, but Bob overruled me on that one. So, it turned into just a regular painting project to update the headboard. I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Paris Grey for the base coat and Old White on top. It was the same method as painting the nightstands, so I didn’t detail the steps in photos. I just am revealing that I am one of those people that paints from the can and am quite messy when I do it!! 🙂
After the painting was done, I took the headboard outside and sanded to smooth and distress it, and then cleaned it up and waxed and buffed until it was nice and pretty.
I really do love how it turned out. I thought the diagonal slats were so dated in the original, but it really gave it a lot of dimension after it was painted.
It’s quite a difference from the before.
I love how the room came together. It was a slow process, but I was determined to buy used furniture and make it all work.
So, overall, I think I spent about $140: $10 for the headboard, $60 for the dresser, $30 for the nightstands (it may have only been $15 but I can’t remember), and $40 for the mirror. I think that’s a great deal to give the room a whole new look. Let’s compare one last before and after.
Definitely much more current and brighter! I can’t wait to pull all my “new” furniture out of storage and have a pretty guest room in our new home later this year.